Wednesday, October 8, 2008

eco's imbroglio

i'm sorry, but Eco's article on the myth of Superman that I had to read for my writing class just got me so utterly confused, I have no idea what he's trying to say. This one damn paragraph got me foaming at the mouth:

For Husserl, the "I" is free inasmuch as it is in the past. In effect, the past determines me and therefore also determines my future, but the future, in turn, "frees" the past. My temporality is my freedom and on my freedom depends my "Being-having-been" which determines me. But, in its continuous synthesis with the future, the content of my "Being-having-been" depends on the future. Now, if the "I" is free because it is already-determined together with the "I-that-should-be," there exists within this freedom (so encumbered by conditions, so burdened with what was and is hence irreversible) a "sorrowfulness" (Schmerzhaftigkeit) which is none other than "facticity." Each time I plan, I notice the tragic nature of the condition in which I find myself, without being able to avoid it. Nevertheless, I plan to oppose the tragic elements with the possibility of something positive, which is a change from that which is and which I put into effect as I direct myself toward the future. Plan, freedom and condition are articulated while I observe this connection of structures in my actions, according to a dimension of responsibility. This is what Husserl observes when he says that in this "directed" being of the "I" toward possible scopes in ideal "teleology" is established and that the future as possible "having" with respect to the original futurity in which I already always am is the universal prefiguration of the aim of life.

...

...........

WUH?

Anyways, Nancy and I have found it to be an 11:30pm ritual to have late night wii battles/tournaments. I'm usually the victor. BWAHAHA. It's kind of our Zumba workout. It makes up for the times we'd say we would head over to the ARC but turned out to be complete failures with flabs. Flabby failures is what we are. But no no no, not when it comes to the wii.

No comments: